, , , , , ,

Last autumn, the prefect of Pas-de-Calais recognized six thousand people living in the shantytownthere were probably more in reality. There are currently over seven thousand living on a small area reduced over the repeated destructions by the authorities (see here and here). These authorities also prohibit the provision on the site of materials to build shelters, preventing the reconstruction of a part of the shantytown which was destroyed by fire. Apart of the inhabitants, including the newcomers, are therefore in much more precarious conditions, in tents.

At the same time, the camps destructions multiply (Chocques, Steenvoorde, Dieppe and Cherbourg, threats of expulsion that of Norrent-Fontes) and the shanty towns of Calais itself is threatened. Police operations targeting shops and stores make this concrete threat (see here, here, here and here). The tension is therefore strong. It results in greater risk taking in passing attempts, and fights. With deaths resulted.

Several fights broke out last night in the shantytown. A man died.


The local migrants support associations call to a rally tomorrow at 6.30 pm in front of Parc Richelieu, in the city center.


This is the tenth death known on British border since the beginning of the year. On February 10, the body of an Afghan exile missing for several days was found in the harbor. On March 2 a Sudanese exile was found dead in his tent in the slum. On March 31 an Afghan exile died on the highway, hit by a truck that did not stop. On April 1 British volunteers announced the death of an exile who lived in the camp of Grande-Synthe. He had managed to cross the border on the axles of a truck, which had an accident in the UK. On May 9, a Pakistani exile died on the port access ring road, hit by a car. On May 29, an Afghan exile died on Highway 16, hit by a truck. On July 4, an exile died on the ring road. On the night of July 11 to 12, Samrawit died hit by a truck that did not stop on the ring road, while she was stuck in Calais following the expulsion on the morning of the camp of Steenvoorde (see here and there). On July 21, a dead migrant was found at the edge of the highway.